A lot of people, well probably most people I know, think someone that is a dietitian or a dietitic technician work in the kitchen and make food. I think that is why people don't understand how drained I can feel at the end of the day.
I'm not sure if it is because the holidays are coming up but a lot of my patients have been sadder than usual lately. Today for the 2nd time in a week a grown man was crying in front of me. For some reason seeing a man cry is harder for me than seeing a baby cry. I think it's because men don't cry, so for him to be that overwhelmed he must be having some strong feelings.
Lately it seems to be that my job is more of a counselor than a nutrition expert. People will talk food with me for 5 minutes and then starting talking about their family dynamics, loved ones they have lost, how close they came to dying or how close they are too dying. They tell me how much they love their grandkids and are hoping to see this or that event. Today this man told me he was glad that the flight for life came so his grandbabies wouldn't watch him die. What do you say to a man like that?
The most amazing part to me is that 9 times out of 10 these patients are crying but telling the story with great humor. Crying with these genuine smiles on their faces. It makes the petty jealousies and feuds between my co-workers that much more obscene to me when one floor above us people are fighting to learn how to walk, talk or even swallow. Those are real problems to me. We are all in good health, have supportive family members and friends. We have jobs and a warm place to sleep. We have cars and food. We can choice what stores we buy this food at. We have a coat and hats and gloves and boots. We can walk and swallow thin liquids.
Sure I get involved in this mini dramas like everyone else, but things are changing for me. I want to be the kind of person that goes to bed thinking about what a great life I have instead of the little things that got me down today. Then when something really bad does happen I hope that I will be able to face it with courage, good humor and hope like the many special people that have crossed my life because of my job at the 'dert. I hope that everyday I will be able to go home and really be with Abby and not just in the same room. This is my new's year resolution to be more positive and appreciate what I do have.
So nice of you to be so thoughtful going through your day. Sometimes as ancillary staff, I think part of our job is just to listen. You know? Keep being patient an kind to your patients and it will come back to you ten-fold!!
ReplyDeletePw
Great post!
ReplyDeleteall good thoughts jg! glad to join you at the 'dert-but I need your reminders DAILY!!!! you're great at what you do by the way! RR
ReplyDeleteit sounds like you are an amazing gift to your patients. I think food is so much a social part of our lifestyle that I can totally see how they would get so emotional about your part in their lives. So many memories are associated with traditions that culminate with a fantastic meal.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the positive attitude. We all need to. Especially during this season. Cheers!
Sarah
RR's sister