Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas

I have 15 other blog posts in my head that will never get written with two little kids at home but I do not want to lose this recipe.  Do you get the Penzey Spice catalog? I originally signed up for the coupons for free spices but realized I never go to that store.  It does have a lot of good recipes.  There was one that sounded good but the seasonings when I made it were off to me.  You used vinegar and soy sauce to cook the sweet potatoes and it was just off to us.  So here is my drastically revised Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchilada recipe.  Bonus this is a really low cost meal to make.  I got all the ingredients from Aldi's except the leeks.

5-6 large flour tortillas
2 large sweet potatoes
2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 T ground cumin ( I didn't really measure, this is my guess)
1 T chili powder (recipe said 1 tsp hot chili pepper but I didn't have any of those)
1 15 oz can black beans
2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese (I used a Mexican blend)


Bake the potatoes.  I did it in the microwave but you can do in the oven.

 Preheat oven to 375.  Mash or puree potatoes and put to the side.

Saute leeks and garlic in a little oil with the cumin until you smell it across the room.  Then add chili powder and black beans.

 Fold the beans and 1 cup of the cheese into the potatoes.  Fill the tortillas with a handful of filling  roll and pack tightly into a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking pan.  Top the enchiladas with the remaining cheese, and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment