Growing up my family would go to both my Grandmas' houses on Christmas Eve. It was so exciting to me because we got together with all our cousins in the area. Each Thanksgiving Dana and I would sit down with Grandma P and pick out this year's Christmas dinner. Grandma has them all filed away for each year of who came and what we ate from the beef to the dinner rolls. People have grown and moved away but I have not yet missed a single Christmas Eve.
Christmas day we would wake up in our house, or be woken up by 10 (Tony, my dad and I are late sleepers) for our Christmas breakfast of pancakes and sausage links made on the electric frying pan. Then we would open our gifts from Santa, each other and our parents. Later in the day our Grandparents might stop by to see the tree and all our goodies. We would spent the afternoon playing our new board games or as we got older playing our new video games and watching our new DVDs.
One of the things I'm most excited about this Christmas is starting traditions with our daughter. We're keeping up the Christmas Eve tradition of seeing both her Great Grandmas and then our newer tradition of Grutzmacher Christmas on Christmas Day. I'm so excited to have Christmas morning just for us, for a special breakfast. Should I change up it each year or just the same special meal? I haven't quite decided. We're going to do Saint Nick too, never did that in our house. I'm going to buy her an ornament each year with a special note. There's just so much to be excited about and thankful for. Tim and Abby I have a lot of plans for you so be prepared to be tired, excited, happy and to just laugh at my enthusism. Now let's go get that Christmas tree.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I love this post. It gets me all geared up. The dress is so cute. Makes me want a girl someday for sure!!! I love hearing others traditions and thinking "that is so different yet so much the same as what we always did". Maybe in a different order, maybe different food, but always surrounded by love and the spirit of the holidays!! so glad Abby has a festive mommy!
ReplyDeleteRR