Monday, January 31, 2011

Winding down

Dear Abby,

Sometimes I'm full of worry on my way home from work that I'm not going to give you the time and love you deserve. I'm just so tired from the long day just like you are. Today you were kind of fussy when we got home and didn't want your veggies. I was too tired to worry about it but I wanted you to calm down so I could eat my dinner. I gave you some of the cheese and black beans from my tacos and you couldn't get enough. It makes me so happy when we can share a meal together and I can see that you really enjoy it. I enjoy our dinners together at night, especially now that you can feed yourself and we can eat at the same time. You get real impatient when you're hungry just like your mama. I love eating and I love cooking and I hope that you will share these passions with me because sometimes I don't think your daddy is too excited for my "culinary adventures" but he's always a great sport.

After dinner today you didn't want to play. Instead you crawled into my lap with your baby jesus book with the furry animals and sat there for 15 minutes just flipping pages and petting the animals. Sometimes you would look up at me and read a page out loud. I wish daddy had been home to get a picture. I love the way you are so focused on the task at hand and I can just see your little mind taking it all in and learning. Then at bedtime when I read to you, you watched the pages so intently pushing yourself to stay awake until the very end. I hope that your love for books will continue your whole life so we can read books together and discuss them with your Aunties and Grandma Grutz. Thank you baby bun for a sweet, relaxing evening. I thank God every day for perfect little you. I love you.
Mama

2 comments:

  1. this is so sweet and actually brought a tear to my eye.
    you are a wonderful, loving momma! i hope you know that jess. we need to get together for a wed playdate soon...i want to see miss abby!!
    pw

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was VERY sweet. I loved it. I love how you eat dinner WITH her. such an important thing that we don't do enough with Eli. Sometimes easier to just give him something seperate, but he always wants to be just like mom or dad and have what we do. on a side note-eli LOVED black beans. we pureed them for a while for him, but maybe she's ready for them and a good, healthy protein source for her. haha. peg is right-you're an AWESOME mom. i give you SO much credit. RR

    ReplyDelete