Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Shout out to my Mommy Nation

Motherhood is such a crazy ride. I would not have gotten through it without all you and it's about time you be recognized.



To my Mommy: I will forever be thankful for every single Wednesday you came to help out. Those first months were a little less scary when I knew Wednesday someone would be there to help pick up the pieces. I see how much I have grown from what our visits have become. Now I can finally make dinner for you and stay awake your entire visit. It's so special to me that you had all that extra time with Abby like I had with my grandmother. If we decide to have another child I hope you will be ready for Wednesday weekly visits. You have always been a fantastic mother and it is a joy to watch you becoming a grandmommy.



To my Mommy-in-law: Nursing is such an amazing, overwhelming experience. The first 6 months I was keeping mental tabs in my head of all the things I needed to ask you next time we talked. Thank you for your encouraging words and objective advise. Felt good to have an expert to turn to. And thank you LLL for giving you all the information I needed. I'm so grateful for the open and honest relationship we have. You're always there for us, especially in a pinch and we are so glad to have you.



A - You are such an amazing woman, worker, mom, wife. I will never understand where you get all that positive energy but you inspire me. You inspire me to slow down and enjoy each minute instead of fretting about how much she slept/ate/pooped. I'm so glad that you took me under your mothering wing. Thank you for all the play dates, the lunches, the Q and A sessions and more importantly the laughs.



B- Finally someone that tells it like it is. Thank you for acknowledging and reassuring me that it's not always great and that's okay. You just need to look for the humor and laugh through those tears because it's only going to get better and worse. At my lowest you stepped right in and showed me the humor in it and let me know that I wasn't a terrible mother just a normal human being.



C - In motherhood as in every day life you do your own thing. You truly are our Squiggle. From you I have learned to trust my heart and feel that has helped me better understand what Abby needs. Also the bags and bags of clothing have been a tremendous help. Thank you for giving me a different way to look at things and pushing me to look outside the box.



P - Our experiences have been so different and to me that is what has been so fun going through this journey with you. Your insights as a 2 time mom help me see the light at the end of tunnel. It's so easy to be jealous of someone else's situation but you have done FT and PT work and your experiences/stories have helped ease my guilt. You've shown me that PT/FT no matter what your work schedule is isn't ever going to be perfect. But your kids will make it through and be just as wonderful as you want them to be. Your children are so beautiful and amazing. Thank you for your reassuring words as I sobbed on the phone after a horrible day as a working mom. Good to have someone in the trenches with you.



R - I can't really find the words. When I think of all you have done for me I get choked up. Somehow you always know what to say - whether it be a push I need (or maybe a swift kick), validation or just plain ol' fashion sympathy. You have been with me from the beginning of this whole crazy journey through the crazy emotions will I ever be a mother to oh my God am I good enough to be some one's mother. I can't believe the amount of whining and crying you have endured and never let me know how annoying I just might be. Your friendship is a fantastic gift. You are one of the strongest people I know and I hope that I am half the mother you are. Thank you for your ear, your laughter, your knowing glances, your texts, your emails, the W and W. Thank you for being a mentor, a friend, a co-worker, a resource, a play date friend and my therapist. Thank you for reminding every week that "I am still a Jessica". I hope that some day I can repay you.


And with that I raise my wine glass to all you fine ladies, cheers to the amazing mothers you are and to the fantastic moments we have ahead of us.

2 comments:

  1. wow...what a thoughtful post. thank you and your welcome and as for me? i'll ALWAYS be here to help or listen or whatever you need! you really are an amazing mom. a truly amazing jessica!
    pw

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a special special post. LOVE it. Mom's are special people and everyone has the BEST mom. :) I'm so hopeful Eli will think that in the future and I KNOW that Abby will. So glad you're part of my life. You are an amazing mom and I could never be you (that's a compliment on how awesome you are). You do it all!!
    -R-

    ReplyDelete