Friday, April 15, 2011

The birthday letter


Every year Marsha writes a letter to each child on their birthday, remembering everything that happened that year and telling them how proud she is of them. Usually it's a private letter but sometimes it's posted on the wall at the party. I love this idea and told myself when I got pregnant that I was going to do this. Well it has been 8 days since she turned one and I can't write that letter. Just thinking about what I want to say makes me all misty and emotional. I want to tell her the story of her birth, what the first few days were like, what I love most about her, how far she has come, how much I love her and miss her every single day when I have to leave her at daycare. But I just can't do it. How does Marsha do it year after year - with graduations, new babies, weddings, huge career changes? So tonight I'm going to pour myself a glass of wine and just jump in and do it. Then Tim will come home and wonder what I've been crying about and all I'll be able to say is, Our baby is 1.


1 comment:

  1. That's a very special tradition....to start, finish, sometimes do, sometimes not. ANYTHING like that is special. Did you have that wine and do it? RR

    ReplyDelete